From the outset in 1981, the Alcohol Policy Conference has been a forum for researchers, community practitioners, and public officials to meet and exchange findings, explore evidence-based solutions, and consider adoption of policies aimed at minimizing risks associated with alcohol use. When held in conjunction with state and regional sponsors, e.g, South Carolina (1981, 1984, 1987 and 1994) California (1985 and 2008), New York (1986), Michigan (1988), and Oregon (1990), Alcohol Policy Conferences have served to spark collaborative prevention campaigns.
The conference series has aided the development of a number of national and international initiatives, including national prevention policies (e.g., increase in the minimum legal drinking age to 21; health warnings on alcoholic beverage containers; promotion of recommendations from a Surgeon General’s workshop on impaired driving; articulation of Healthy People goals; decrease in blood alcohol limit for determination of driving while impaired; excise tax increase) and local actions (e.g., enforcement of laws pertaining to underage alcohol sales and possession; responsible sales and services practices; controls on alcohol availability at sports stadiums and during public events; and encouragement of faith-based initiatives).
Alcohol Policy 18 marks the first time that organizers will convene an Advocate Institute, encouraging critical connections between those engaged in building an evidence-based social movement by translating alcohol policy research into public health practice.
18. April 11-13, 2018 – Evidence to Action: Building an Evidence-Based Social Movement – Renaissance Arlington Capital View, Arlington, VA – convened and coordinated by the U.S. Alcohol Policy Alliance.
17. April 6-8, 2016 – Evidence to Action – Renaissance Arlington Capital View, Arlington, VA – convened and coordinated by the US Alcohol Policy Alliance in partnership with Project Extra Mile.
16. April 3-5, 2013 – Building Blocks for Sound Alcohol Policies – Renaissance Arlington Capital View, Arlington, VA – convened by the Silver Gate Group with cooperation from many stakeholders and others.
15. December 5-7, 2010 – Policies for Reducing Problems Associated with Alcohol Availability – Washington Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, DC – convened by the Silver Gate Group with cooperation from many stakeholders and others.
14. January 27-30, 2008 – Engaging States and Local Communities in Prevention Policies – Bahia Resort Hotel, San Diego, CA – sponsored by the California Council on Alcohol Policy with cooperation from the County Alcohol and Drug Program Administrators’ Association of California, and partially supported by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
13. March 13-15, 2003 – Building Bridges Between Research and Practice – Royal Sonesta Hotel, Boston, MA – sponsored by Education Development Center, Inc., with cooperation from a variety of national, state and regional organizations.
12. June, 2000 – Alcohol and Crime – Renaissance Hotel, Washington, DC – sponsored by the National Crime Prevention Council.
11. May, 1998 – Under the Influence: Creating Alcohol-Safe Communities – Inter-Continental, Chicago, IL – sponsored by the American Medical Association.
10. May, 1996 – Reducing Risk Among Young Adults – Chelsea Delta, Toronto, Canada – sponsored by the Addiction Research Foundation (now Centre for Addiction and Mental Health).
9. January, 1994 – Charleston Place, Charleston, SC – sponsored by the South Carolina Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.
8. March, 1992 – Alcohol Policy and Community Action: Agendas for Today – Sheraton Washington (now Marriott Wardman Park), Washington, DC – sponsored by the National Association for Public Health Policy.
7. March, 1990 – Hilton, Portland, OR – sponsored by the Oregon Department of Health Services.
6. November, 1988 – Ann Arbor, MI – sponsored by the Michigan Department of Health Services.
5. October, 1987 – Omni (now Charleston Place) – sponsored by the South Carolina Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.
4. November, 1986 – Hotel Pennsylvania, New York, NY – sponsored by the New York Office of Alcoholism (now the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services).
3. October, 1985 – Alcoholic Beverage Control: Prescription for Prevention – Bahia Hotel, San Diego, CA – sponsored by the San Diego County Health Care Agency (now the Department of Health and Human Services) and the University of California, San Diego.
2. September, 1984 – Mills House, Charleston, SC – sponsored by South Carolina Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.
1. September, 1981 – Mills House, Charleston, SC – sponsored by South Carolina Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.